5 Tips for Avoiding Mosquito Bites
- According to the CDC, Insect repellents are the best way to protect you and your family from mosquito bites. Keep in mind that the higher the percentage of active ingredients, the longer the protection will last.
- Cover up; wear lightweight long-sleeved shirts and pants, especially when in a wooded area. Avoid dark colors; lighter, brighter colors are believed to be less attractive to a mosquito!
- Get rid of any standing water around your house; empty the “kiddy pool” frequently and make sure there is no rainwater collecting in the bottom of flowerpots.
- Plug in a fan; mosquitoes are not strong flyers so airflow can keep them away. Try this the next time you are sitting outside on a deck or patio. A small fan set on low can do the trick!
- Stay inside during dusk and dawn; this is peak feeding time for mosquitoes.
If it’s too late and you’ve already been bitten, try this:
- Apply hydro cortisone cream or calamine lotion to reduce the itch.
- Place a cold pack or bag of crushed ice on the bite to reduce itchiness and avoid scratching.